Sunday, May 16, 2010

Day 1 - Calories consumed and recap

  • 3 pieces of Trader Joe's Low Calorie Light Wheat Bread: 120 calories / 33 g carbs / 15 g fiber / 9 g protein
  • 2 tablespoons Trader Joe's Valencia Peanut Butter with Roasted Flaxseeds: 200 calories / 16 g fat / 5 g carbs / 3 g fiber / 9 g protein
  • 1/2 Grapefruit: 53 calories / 0.2 g fat / 13.4 g carbs / 1.8 g fiber / 1 g protein
  • 1/2 cup Chunk White Albacore (1 small can): 120 calories / 2 g fat / 24 g protein
  • 1 cup canned beets (salt free): 80 calories / 16 g carbs / 2 g fiber / 2 g protein
  • 1 cup green beans: 44 calories / 0.4 g fat / 9.9 g carbs / 4 g fiber / 2.4 g protein
  • 3 ounces chicken breast: 140 calories / 3.1 g fat / 26.4 g protein
  • 1 apple: 77 calories / 0.3 g fat / 20.6 g carbs / 3.6 g fiber / 0.4 g protein
  • 1 cup ice cream (I mixed a "1/2 the fat" vanilla and full fat cookies and cream): 376.2 calories / 17.2 g fat / 47.8 g carbs / 8.5 g protein
  • 2 cup (approx as I did not measure out my food) Orville Redenbacher's Tender White popcorn: 80 calories / 6 g fat / 8 g carbs / <2 g fiber / <2 g protein

Total: 1290.2 calories* / 45.2 g fat / 153.7 g carbs / 31.4 g fiber / 84.7 g protein


So as you can see this is not a starvation diet.  To loose weight one must have a caloric deficit. 1200 calories a day is the minimum recommended calories on a weight loss plan.  Those who are larger or are more physically active may very well need a base of calories that is higher than 1200.  In terms of fiber, I consumed the recommend amount of 30 g per day simply by food consumption.  I'm not sure I've done that in a long time.  The only thing I question is the amount of daily fat consumed.  The American Heart Association recommends no more than 30% of your calories consumed by fat calories.  I've read on multiple websites that it is anywhere from 30 g fat total to 60 g total.  If anyone knows the answer to this question let me know.  If there is a next time I would try to make sure all my fats are the fat-free or low-fat versions.  


Without the popcorn and extra scoop of ice cream I would have consumed 1200 calories.  Despite cheating, I'm very happy with how day 1 went.  


*My calories, and perhaps fats, carbs, fiber, and protein, were most likely higher because I consumed sugar free lemonade in large quantities, which has trace calories per serving.  Also all the above is approximates.  

No comments:

Post a Comment